Thursday, April 5, 2007

The Green Light - Selby and Star-6th




Selby
CrystalStar
Period 6
1) The green light in “The Great Gatsby” symbolizes the envy that James Gatz has. He longs for Daisy’s love.


2) “…he stretched out his arms toward the dark water in a curious way, and, far as I was from him, I could have sworn he was trembling.” (21)
“Gatsby believed I the green light…Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther…And one fine morning-”(182)
3)
4) "Start Trails in the Night Sky with Northern Lights Alberta Canada." Fotosearch. 22 Mar. 2007 .

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I always thought the green symbolized something else-- like probably the power that keeps Gatsby going for his dreams.

-Xavy (6th)

Anonymous said...

I know that to me green is my favorite color and that it is calming and soothing to the mind . Its like mint it cools and soothes the mind body and spirit.

Sarah B 6th period

Anonymous said...

Hope....... that is what Gatsby had. The symbolization is good about Gatz and Daisy's love.
Jisna S. 6th

Anonymous said...

I see how you would associate green with envy somewhat like greed as in money, but Gatsby has plenty of money. Then again, he wanted Daisy and she belong to someone else. So since it's just a light and not money, I'll let it slide.

-Daniela K.

Anonymous said...

I think that the green light represents money and wealth not envy. It symbolizes Gatsby's goals (dreams).
Iyad-8th

Anonymous said...

It's true that green does represnt envy, but in this case i believe that it doesn't, Gatsby isn't quiet envious, it's a different feeling he has for Daisy.

-Ginger G. 8th

Anonymous said...

Green represents a lot of things, money and envy being the most common, something that Gatsby has plenty of both. His sole intent, his rise to power was fueld by envy and backed by money. I see the green light as a reflection of Gastby's motivation.

-Dan P.

Anonymous said...

The main thing green represents is money and that is true. Gatsby has so much money. it also shows envy, gatsby also as that, but why when he has so much money
steven m 6th